View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #121
tshiggins

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
"Good fishing" was a slip of keyboard, "nontoxic fishing" may have been a better choice of words.

(SNIP)

Edit
Another switch.
Not sure about the Salmon's diet on it's return to it spawning grounds either, it may eat other fish that have algal toxins in their system. (Botulism??)
I think I saw this in a National Geographic documentary. IIRC, when the Salmon are swimming upstream to spawn, they don't eat, at all.

It's their last hurrah. They use the physiological resources they already have, run the gauntlet of bears, anglers and changes in the stream, and reach the small, shallow tributaries where they spawn. The females lay the roe as the male fertilizes them, and then both die shortly after that.

The eggs hatch within a few months, and the babies gain strength by eating bugs that fall into the stream. After a few more months, they work their way downstream and out into the ocean, where they live for a number of years (or wind up food for something bigger).

I actually found a nice site:

http://www.marinebio.net/marinescien...on/sarepro.htm
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote