View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #4
jason taylor

Default Re: Low Tech – How to play a frontal clash between two phalanxes (Hoplites, Shield Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
There is a pike battle in alatriste that might be worth a look, I ended up using the same approach the movie did, put the PCs in irregular support rolls.

The novel "Lion of Macedon" stresses the importance of depth of soldiers, if you go with that style of combat then it would be closer to a rugby scrum full of armed men. So close combat modifiers would be important.
I always thought the description sounded a lot like that. The main skepticism I had, was how much would normal people be willing to impale themselves on an undodgeble hedge of spears? People do crazy stunts for national existence and the country that doesn't find people for that won't survive. But for adjusting the turf a few miles a year?

There must have been some way to give the men in the front enough confidence in their probable survival and all those spears in front and all those friendlies trampling from behind makes one skeptical even of the protection of being in a bronze mummy.

The "scrum" model sounds kinda cool and VDH favors it tremendously which is not conclusive. But you gotta wonder.