View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #13
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
Ya, They have seen all of one piece of TL 9 gear so far and are not supposed to have access to any.
Well, if they're not really supposed to have TL 9 stuff, I'd suggest treating it as a prototype, basically. Those can come in before the full TL gets going, remember. Make it buggy and a hassle, and it will make sense as to why it's not more widespread. Some suggestions for bugs:
  • It's a massive pain to maintain. Like, takes an hour or more, with Armoury (Body Armor) rolls, after each fight it gets hit, or it loses 10% of its DR.
  • It's got dangerous chinks. Perhaps chinks give no DR, or there's a particular spot that's very easy to hit (the hit location with an additional -2, say, instead of the usual -10).
  • It leaks weird chemicals that (pick one): a) give the wearer a rash, making them itchy as long as they wear it, b) smell terrible, giving the wearer the equivalent of Bad Smell, c) are really super obvious to things like drug-sniffing dogs, chemical sensors, etc., making it hard to smuggle.
  • It's got no problems in and of itself, but the character managed to get their copy for some absurdly low price for some crazy reason. All future versions will be at least twice as expensive (the usual increase for being one TL ahead), if not more.
  • The one the character owns is some fluke that no one has been able to duplicate. Everybody (possibly including the original manufacturer) wants to take it off them in order to duplicate it.

These should be enough to be getting on with. I'm sure you can think of more.

Note that I'm not suggesting you just spring this on your player. The first step should really be to talk to them out-of-character, explain that you didn't realize the stats on the armor were quite so good, and that you need to impose some controls to help make the game and the setting make sense. If they want to just ditch the armor and use a less-effective but also less-expensive version, I'd say let them. Personally, though, I'd pitch the idea of it being a buggy prototype, because frankly I think that's more interesting, and I hope your player will as well.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote