Thread: Killing Slavers
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #39
martinl

Default Re: Killing Slavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I disagree. I have great fun dealing with "no good solution" problems. On both sides of the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I have to say we have profoundly different sensibilities here. I don't expect moral dilemmas to have "solutions" as a rule.
I used to think the same, but my overwhelming experience as a GM is that the folks I play with like a moral challenge where they can be the "good guys" much more than a moral dilemma where grey is the best anyone can do.

It is best if it looks like an unsolvable dilemma at first, so they can feel good about finding the morally satisfying 'third option,' but that is an illusion just as much as the combat being realistically dangerous is an illusion. It also works as a build up - working with someone who sticks you in morally ambiguous situations for a while is a great build up for a situation where the PCs turn on that person and win a victory for 'good.'

Not calling hurting wrong fun here or anything - play your games the way that works for you! Heck, that kind of game usually works for me (as a player, gm, or media consumer). But in my experience unresolvable moral ambiguity does not make my gaming group happy.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote