View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: What's my counterpoint for this observation about advantages/disadvantages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dynel View Post
Player: My point is that just because I'm filthy rich, I can't be as capable as the random guy down the street, or the other PCs, or I have to have things wrong with me?

Me: My only counterpoint was that wealth is a sort-of "power" and that to have a more believable or rational use of that power (like his vision of being rich, charming, educated, etc.) would necessitate a higher point-level game. ... I said that in the confines of the point level that we're using, that type of character isn't possible.

What do you all think?
Pretty much nailed it. Wealth is really powerful in modern games. The player can (and usually will) bankroll the other characters, have easy and high end transport, can pay to access things others can't even dream of getting, get th best guns, cars, electronics, armor, etc.

And for really high levels of wealth, they won't even tax their ability to buy stuff.

At a constant point value, the high cost of Filthy Rich does mean making sacrifices. If he wants it all, he wants to be a higher point value character than the group agreed on.

So yeah, he can be Filthy Rich, have great stats, be very skilled, and have only a few character-defining disadvantages.

That person is vaguely called a well-adjusted Batman. Or Tony Stark.

(though yes, both have pretty epic disads)

But the point (ahem) is that to as good as everyone else AND Filthy Rich means you're higher points than everyone else. That's how GURPS and point-buy works.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote