View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #48
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Your taking a -2 to skill for deceptive creates a -1 to all defenses so I think it would only be -1 to dodge.

Boxing is -2 to parry kicks, -2 to parry lowline attacks, so a total of -5.

My base of Dodge 9 / Parry 10 would be reduced to 8 and 5 based on the above. 9 and 6 with One Foe, 9 and 7 with "Deny Left" parry bonus to right arm. I could get my parry up to 8 if I wanted to use Cross Parry... but it's still inferior.

Clearly dodging is the way to go for best chances... and in recognition of how "parrying sucks" as a boxer's response to lowline kicks, against someone who can kick capably and shows willingless to aim low, there isn't much of a benefit to taking a stance to get a parrying bonus. Giving you a +2 to hit one of my legs allows you to take a -2 deceptive and negate that bonus anyway... plus penalize the superior alternative of dodging!

In recognition of that, and learning from this, I am going to exit out of "Deny Left" and take a neutral stance once more after this is resolved.
  • 1aa) your brawling punch to torso 5<12
  • 1ab) my boxing parry 8<12
  • 1ba) my boxing punch to random location 11<16
  • 1bb) your brawling parry 9<12
  • 2aa) your brawling punch to leg (8<12 if thigh, 8<11 if shin)
  • 2ab) my boxing parry 13>11
  • 2ac) my roll with blow failed, 4 injury, (24 seconds til Partial Injury)
  • 2b) my All-Out-Defense DOUBLE
  • 3a) you Evaluated (23s til PI)
  • 3b) I did a DWA and both missed
  • 4a) you recovered 1 AP, and Evaluated again (22s til PI)
  • 4ba) I did another DWA, right hit your left shoulder, left missed
  • 4bb) DID YOU DEFEND?
  • 5aa) you recovered 0 AP, and expended your evaluate +2 to kick deceptively at my leg (21s til PI)
  • 5ab) how I defend will be influenced on how you defended against the shoulder punch

In reviewing the notes and the dice log it appears that you might have thought my 2nd DWA also had both halves miss, but actually it was only the 2nd half (the left random punch) which did...

Could you choose an active defense against the 1st half (right handed punch to your left arm) to see what happens? This would reduce you from 3/10 AP to 2/10 AP unless you wanted to use Feverish defense in which case you'd go down to 0.

It's up to you whether or not you want to keep your choice and roll to kick depending on what happens. Given that you just tied it, even a single -1 could result in a miss but I expect if you had suffered shock you might have made a different choice (like not taking the -2 for deceptive) to improve your odds.

If you end up wanting to use Feverish and reducing to 0 this would mean needing to burn an FP to get the AP needed to kick.

Since you didn't use your step, you could also retreat for free, to get +3 to dodge or +1 to parry. Since we are in Close range, moving 1 yard away would still have you in range to make a kick attack at my leg if that's still what you wanted to do.

BTW this is kind of late to introduce this option but if you'd like we could use http://www.gamesdiner.com/rules-nugget-gurps-duck

This would give you +1 if you wanted to use dodge to move your arm out of the way (mobile extremity). This isn't an automatic bonus for the leg, but I think the "Jump!" option would be fair (you get the +1 if you make a Jumping roll). Unlike below,

There's also the option of Acrobatic Dodge. Since it involves a skill check and is a more flamboyant movement. Do you think that should cost extra AP? The potential of suffering a penalty seems cost enough. It's not really a 'separate' thing so much as a modification in how you do an existing thing, like with Duck/Jump in the above GamesDiner article (which I think also appeared in Pyramid 3-34)

If you wish to parry an attack on your hand or arm using that hand or arm to parry, you also have the option of specifying it is a "no contact parry". This would mostly be for purposes like "I don't want to touch the flame elemental" but where it is important in normal combat is that no-contact means an advantage to you: I can't use your defense to set up a Beat (ST based Feint). The disadvantage to you: you can't use it to set up a Beat either (no big loss when your DX is higher than your ST, in this case) and can't use it to set up a Judo Throw or Arm Lock on a following turn (also no loss in this case).

I also think it's reasonable to say that a "no contact parry" cannot benefit from a +1 for Cross Parry or the +1 if you were using "Deny (Side)" from Gladiators. To balance that out, do you think it would make sense to allow NCPs to benefit from the dodge bonuses that extremities enjoy, since that's basically what it is, dodging your limb using the Parry stat? I think that would be fair, so I'd allow you a +1 to "no contact parry" your arm out of the way of the punch if you would prefer that.

I think it would also make sense to allow a +3 on no-contact parries even for combat skills (like brawling) which only normally get a +1 on retreating parries. But retreats would give the usual +1 if using a contact-based parry (such as required to set up Judo Throws, Beats, Arm Locks, or use Grabbing Parry or Aggressive Parry).

If we were using weapons, I believe the usual penalty for parrying weapons unarmed should not apply if using no-contact parries. The penalty is justified as "it's hard to reach past the damaging portion of weapons" but you don't need to do that on no-contact parries which function a lot like dodges using the parrying skill.

Another proposed modification: I think that falling down on a critically failed dodge (as normal) makes sense if dodging your head/neck/torso/leg or if using a retreat to dodge against an attack on your arm, but in the case of non-retreating dodges against attacks on the arm, that's a lot like a no-contact parry and I think using the critically failed attack table (as crit failed parries do) would make more sense, since it's an out of control flailing limb. Thoughts?

How do you spend your 3/10 AP 10/10 FP to respond to the right-hand punch at your left arm? I think I have 5/12 AP 10/12 FP. I was previously at 1/10, burned my 2nd FP to go 1>7, spent 2 on my 2nd DWA, one of which was on target and needs an active defense if you don't want it to hurt your arm.

Last edited by Plane; 12-12-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote