View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Resistance is Futile doesn't seem like it actually prevents you from spending FP, just encourages roleplaying inaction/recovery for an unspecified time. An elephant at 39/40 HP just seems less compromised than the cat with 3/4 HP in terms of applying a Will penalty based purely on total lost HP.
I looked at PIF again, and found that the PIF roll happens the turn AFTER spending the FP. You expend your energy, make your mighty effort, and then feel exhausted 1 second later. That actually feels correct.

If we use the injury penalty, it should certainly be scaled to FP, though I will advocate classic rounding for this.

Quote:
Against those who end up burning an FP and need to make the roll, yeah.
You're certainly burning them quickly. Of course, you've got an innate +8 in a life or death situation, and wounds are famous for making people less active. So it may be justified. By the time you actually have a penalty, you've hit the 1/3rd of HP mark.

Quote:
Partial Injury defines DX penalties which occur at intervals equal to fractions of max HP and are even smaller (~1 per 33%) than shock (~1 per 10%) when scaled to larger HP.

It looks like Doug was indeed referring to injury (as in damage), not the partial injury rules.

Quote:
It's kinda odd how the crit-fishing barrier is different for the 2 rolls though eh?

Which two rolls?

Quote:
Right but the physical wall for ultimate performance is presumably running into negative FP, not merely burning 1 and feeling an incentive to pause. Of course, doing maximum speed movement could burn through full AP (burning several FP to reset it) pretty quickly.

I feel like the mental barrier is at least as important as the physical barrier.

Quote:
Velocity/Momentum rules for swimming should maybe be a little different than running too, in terms of AP spent on maintaining full move.

And climbing too!

Quote:
I remember that thread, but "did I expend the ammo" or "did I throw the spell" really does require solving whether or not you took the swing.

Yes, both methods present illogical situations.

Quote:
Deceptive attacks can also be "speedy" attacks, attacking at weird/inefficient angles, kinda makes sense they'd take more energy to do. If each 0.2 more you pay on average costs the defender 0.2 more on average it would balance out. Some kind of IQ-based "I'm just better at timing" mitigation of AP would make sense though. I wonder if taking the "Feint" route to that could work better.

Taking longer to set up the deception, and thus using less energy? I can see that.

Ok, so I think we're applying an injury/HP penalty to PIF rolls, and they happen the turn AFTER you spend FP. Where does that leave green, AP wise?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote