View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #41
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You didn't use your free step on your Evaluate, so if you want to take a retreat against this punch at your arm it won't cost you extra AP.
Very intentional, I assure you.

Quote:
The "No Nuisance Rolls" perk is for skills that are 16+ and being used outside combat. This is for 19+ and doesn't mention "perk" so I'm not sure it requires anything.

It's from:
Ok, I see.

Quote:
12<20 is a win of more than 5, so it isn't the reason I made my 2nd roll... but my first check was 15<16 so it was definitely the reason I made my 1st roll... um.... I'm wondering if there is some kind of "Grotesque Biological Reaction" table I could roll on for this?

Probably not. I'd guess 9 times out of 10 thats a euphemism for throwing up.

Quote:
It also says ALMOST so there could be exceptions, but I'm not really sure what those exceptions are meant to be, or really how to define when a threat is large enough to qualify as life-or-death.
Yeah, its hard to define. I like your sliding scale bonus idea. +2 for just avoiding getting hit in a bar fight, +4 to rescue your life's work from fire, and +5 when dodging a bear. Or something like that. For this game, both fighters have the same bonus.

Quote:
All-Out Defense allows you to go at 1/2 Move. I think you still have to spend AP if you want to go more than your free step.

Yes. The Last Gasp kills rapid movement.

Quote:
(I don't like the idea of free steps and free facing changes, Move mentions spending 1 AP to get 10% of your Movement Points, and always pay them and treat the "step" in maneuvers as a cap rather than a freebie. If that slows people down too much, could just double AP to compensate.
You're just annoyed with the way I'm using them! (Just Kidding)

Quote:
Possible the "Counterattack" Technique penalties and "Riposte" options too, in the spirit of "penalties my opponent's actions are creating on me" instead of "penalties due to my limb limitations"
Those seem to take longer to me, though I can see the option for it.

Quote:
I'm not sure if negating defense penalties actually burns the evaluate, it sounds like you can actually keep that benefit against all defenses up until you make an attack against the person you're evaluating.

You're correct. Though I notice that unless you make a deceptive attack or feint it doesn't apply at all. Which is pretty much the opposite of what you're doing right now, mr. telegraphic DWA. You're doing a crazy fist swinging charge hoping to overwhelm my ability to defend.

Quote:
Now I'm wondering how that works against multiple opponents, if you could maintain your evaluation bonus against 1 enemy if you attacked somebody else before attacking the evaluated enemy...

If you have two attacks and make them in the same turn, I don't why not.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand this example, are you saying that that there shouldn't be AP loss to shock or strangulation if an enemy is already at 0 AP?
Yes, If you're already at 0 AP, you can't go negative. but you can only get AP to defend without waiting a turn.

Quote:
It creates a weird situation where if FPbeing burnt to regain 50% HT in AP is voluntary-only, you can conserve FP at risk of going unconscious faster, or choose to burn them and fight off unconsciousness.

That's not weird, that makes sense. Gathering your strength for a burst of activity rather than constantly fighting. And its a case for only burning FP at 0 AP being a bad idea. Or if you combine it with PIF, its the last spasm of desperation before they have to give up.

Quote:
The idea of involuntary FP-burning when you've lost of a lot of AP appeals to me...

Yes, its a strong one.

It think these are better done as will checks than HT checks. Though both would possibly work.

Quote:
It's more like "I can see he's stabbing toward my upper body, but I'm not sure if it's likely to hit me (chest -0) or likely to miss (neck-5) so I'd better start getting out of the way".

There is a school of thought in which missed attacks don't even involve a swing: they looked for an opportunity and didn't see one, or the started one and the opponent showed the ability to counter, so they didn't swing. And the expert countering the novice's wild attacks with minimal effort is a trope and a classic.

I'm a little disgruntled at just how directly such a ruling would support your current tactics.

Quote:
Critical successes don't cost AP, so if you give significant enough bonuses to defenses based on MoF of attack defenders will spend less AP over time against sloppy attacks that miss by large margins and gift those margins as defense bonuses. This of course works better if using 0.1 increments per MoS instead of needing 10 MoS to achieve reduced AP.

I do not find that criticals are a significant part of the game, and the .01 MoS really effect deceptive attacks, which are a major part of high-skill play.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote