View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 AM   #62
Pomphis

Default Re: [Space] System Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
But in the case of tide-locked worlds there is a problem. The rules tell you to 'adjust pressure accordingly', but provide no no way of determining by how much atmospheric mass is reduced. I cannot calculate the actual pressure for tide-locked worlds using the rules as written.

I'm not averse to having the number as well as the category—that is what I do for temperature, after all. But I am reluctant to axe the category because that is what has effects in terms of game rules. This is a game aid (although it masquerades as a game-world document), and I like to save the GM one step in working out the game-mechanical effects on characters. This way, they need neither memorise nor find and look up the pressure categories.
a) Space p.125 gives no change for Standard to Superdense. None is 0, Trace is less than 0.01. The only problem is the Thin to Very Thin change. Thin is 0.51-0.8, Very Thin is 0.01-0.5. How about simply subtracting 0.4 ? We don´t really know anyway, and I would much rather have a possible error of about 0.1 in this one special case than not to know whether I have 1.6 or 9 atms for example.

b) I would prefer both. I only mentioned the possibility to use the number instead of the category if some other change would make space that sparse. But right now the atmosphere row has enough space for both.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote