View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #56
trooper6

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti
Good point about the one-point investments. I'm still not convinced, though, that it's worth while to spend 8 points on Karate to get the damage bonus, if unarmed combat isn't a focus for you. For two points more, you could get Striking ST +2 and enjoy the bonus on all your muscle-powered attacks. I do think it's best to spend just one point on backup skills.
I think in 4e, one of the things that has changed just optimizing by increasing DX and IQ is the addition to the new skill roll rules. Specifically, rules that allow the GM to switch the controlling ability a skill is based on, and the rules that discuss flat 10 roll in order to get at training and not just skill.

Nowadays, all those folks with only 1 pt in a Karate might find themselves in trouble when having to do an IQ based Karate roll to figure out something intellectual about Karate, or when doing a based on 10 roll to highlight training experience.

Now, many folks will still just optimize...but now there are compelling reasons not to do so as a matter of course. That, and the increased cost of DX and IQ makes it more difficult to optimize that way.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote