View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 05:22 AM   #51
Cassandra

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I use modifiers all the time. Defaults still suck,though. Consider the DX 12 guy driving a car. Driving is DX/AVE, defaulting to DX-5. So he's got a skill of 7. Plus 4 for routine stuff gives 11. That's 62.5% chance of success; put the other way around, a 37.5% chance of failure. He's only got a 40% chance of making two rolls in a row. That's pretty slim odds, for something your life depends on.
Um, failure doesn't necessarily mean "you crash your car to a gas-truck and everything explodes BOOM, you and a dozen passersby die!". In my games, someone driving a car with a default skill, on a normal trip through the city, failure by 1-4 would mean stalling the car at traffic lights, not noticing a STOP sign, or a near-crash with brakes screeching and fingers being waved. Failure by 5-8, would be a dent in something or so, and only a critical failure would mean injury to the driver. I would probably even ask for another Driving roll, and only if that too was a critical failure, there would be a life-threathening accident. Otherwise, 1d damage and a $1000 repair job.

If you get routine bonuses to a skill roll, the result of a failure are usually "routine", too.