View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Kallatari

Default Re: Recovering from Fatigue Caused by Missed Sleep

Since the OP started with house rules...

I've broken down "Fatigue" into two distinct elements: Fatigue Points (FP) which is short term spending of energy to achieve a task; and Fatigue Conditions which represent long-term fatigue and tiredness.

FP work more or less as they do now. You spend them for activities, and can regain them with quick little cat-naps or pauses. As a slight change, rather than making it an automatic recuperation of 1 FP every 10 minutes, I allow a HT roll every 5 minutes to regain 1 FP, so the average person regains them 1 per 10 minutes; i.e., I don't bother rolling and apply the RAW 1/10 minutes unless there's a dramatic reason not to. Simple math can give you average recuperation times for HT level other than 10 when you don't want to bother with rolls (e.g., a HT 12 person regains them at roughly 1 per 7 minutes)

I also use three sequential Fatigue Conditions: Weary, Drowsy, and Exhausted.

Weary: -1 to all attribute and attribute-based rolls (vs attributes, skills, Dodge, etc.) and Self-Control Rolls. (+10% enhancement as Affliction)

Drowsy: -2 to all attribute and attribute-based rolls (vs attributes, skills, Dodge, etc.) and Self-Control Rolls. Must make Will roll every 1/8 your "day period" (1/8 of 16 = 2 hours for average person) of light activity or less, with failure resulting in falling asleep for a sleep period (8 hours for average person). (+20% enhancement as Affliction; replaces current definition of Drowsy)

Exhausted: -4 to all attribute-based rolls (vs attributes, skills, Dodge, etc.) and Self-Control Rolls. Must make Will roll every 1/32 your day period (30 minutes average person) if perform light activity or less, or 1/8 day period (2 hours) for any heavier activity, with failure resulting in falling asleep for an entire sleep period (8 hours). (+40% enhancement as Affliction)

The above conditions are sequential - Weary to Drowsy to Exhausted - and are not cumulative.

You become Weary if your current FP ever reach 75% of your maximum, Drowsy if they ever reach 50% of your maximum, and Exhausted at -25% of your maximum (this replaces the normal 1/2 Move/Dodge/ST for 1/3 FP). Once you reach a given Fatigue Condition, regaining FP does not remove them! So it's better to rest frequently and not push yourself too far all in one shot, but you can if you need to.

There are other ways to also trigger a Fatigue Condition. In particular with respect to this thread, staying awake longer than your Day period automatically worsens your Fatigue Condition by one level; repeat for each consecutive day period of remaining awake. The average human will therefore worsen by one level after 16 hours (typically going from no condition to Weary), then another level after 32 hours (Weary to Drowsy), and then another level after 48 hours (Drowsy to Exhausted) of staying awake in row.

Taking a nap stops things from getting worse as it breaks the "staying awake" period, but I use the existing rules of if you get less than a full sleep period, it proportionately reduces your next day period (e.g., if you only got half the normal sleep period, then your next day period is only half as long), which means triggering the next level of Fatigue Condition will occur earlier than usual.

The Fatigue Condition increments are in addition to the existing FP loss for staying awake. You can mitigate the FP loss by resting while staying awake, but this counts as "no activity" and triggers the Will rolls not fall asleep accordingly.

Removing a Fatigue Condition requires a full sleep period (8 hours for average person) of actual sleep, and not just simple resting. If you get less than that amount of sleep, it has no effect on your condition and you start the clock over. Getting the full sleep period of sleep restores a level, so you go from Exhausted to Drowsy to Weary to no Fatigue Condition.

Anyway, those are my house rules on Fatigue. Similar to "The Last Gap", they take a stab at long-term fatigue by use of conditions, but it's much more generic for overall fatigue after long tasks/staying awake. You certainly won't get the more strategic and tiring effects in combat that "The Last Gap" give you... but it's less accounting to follow.

(I personally like The Last Gap, particularly for how it impacts the flow of combat, but my players really don't like resource management at that level of detail, so we don't use it and use what I presented above instead).

Last edited by Kallatari; 07-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Kallatari is online now   Reply With Quote