View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: One-Handed Staff Parry Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
The 9† ST stat for a Quarterstaff (B273) means a Quarterstaff can be used one-handed with no readiness penalty if the wilder has a ST of 18 (B270).

Question #1: Would a Quarterstaff wielded in this way get the +2 Parry bonus? I.e. when you wield a Quarterstaff one-handed, are you still using the Staff skill to wield it, or does the Staff skill require a two-handed grip?
Staff requires two hands; to use it one-handed, you'd need to use Broadsword or Spear. Personally, I think I'd be fine with just letting you use Staff (but then, I think Staff and Spear should be merged), possibly at a penalty (albeit more Familiarity than Exotic Weapon Training for negating said penalty) but you need the two hands to get the +2 to Parry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Question #2: Why does the Naginata (B273) not get a +2 Parry bonus when used with the Staff skill?
Because GURPS hates polearms. From what I understand, realistically, polearms can be used every bit as defensively as staves. Personally, I'm inclined to let fairly balanced ones (like the naginata, and possibly some of the dueling polearms) get the +2, while other polearms would get a +1 instead.