View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Fantasy Setting for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'm not really sure what people mean when they complain ''GURPS doesn't have a fantasy setting other than Yrth.'' GURPS has many other fantasy settings: Mad Lands, and several worked examples of historical fantasy:Celtic Myth, Rome, Vikings, Robin Hood, Camelot, etc. It also has GURPS Myth, GURPS Goblins, Bunnies & Burrows,etc.
I've heard of most of those and think of them as myth rather than fantasy, except Goblins and Bunnies. The only two settings I know nothing about are Mad Lands and Myth (I assume this is the game-based book).

I wonder if people complain because they want a fantasy setting that isn't tied to the real world. All of the examples cited (except maybe Mad Lands and/or Myth?) are either set on Earth or are inhabited by real Earth peoples. I usually don't mind that, I've enjoyed many real-world fantasy settings and I love mythology itself. But perhaps people complain because they want fantasy that really is set on a completely different world. Or perhaps the complaint comes from people who just haven't heard of the others.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 06-04-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote