View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

I just realized I forgot to apply a possibly mitigator here so imma backtrace and (ab?)use my GM perogative to retroactively apply that,

Using "Roll With Blow" from GURPS Martial Arts page 87, which defaults to our combat skills at -2 so per http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/...dex.php?id=one my Boxing 14 gives me RWB 12, you Brawling 16 gives you RWB 14.

Since you roll this to determine how much damage you actually take, there's no shock penalty applied yet.

I... got a 14, a failure :( Still take 4 damage.... hey so what is your opinion on Cole's "Shrug It Off" rules of subtracting MoS on a HT roll to reduce crushing damage?

I didn't perceive an answer to the proposed house rule of applying "High HP and Shock" language to all situations, not just HP20+, so I'm going to selfishly apply it now (GM abuse!) in an effort to mitigate the start of this Death Spiral.
  • "your shock penalty is -1 per HP/10 of injury (drop all fractions)."
-1 per 1.2 of injury is -3 for 3.6 and -4 for 4.8 so 4 dmg only gives me -3, and also meaning I only lost 3 AP, leaving me with 1 left.

However... considering the potential benefits of RWB and how even how it's not an active defense it sorta fuctions like on, even though I don't recall Cole addressing RWB in Last Gasp, I think it would be fair to apply a cost of 1 AP to performing RWB, which still leaves me at 0.

I don't want to be at 0 so I'm going to give us both some AP refunds. Cole mentions you can house-rule in last gasp that a margin of success of 10 on a roll refunds the AP expenditure (0 cost). This is a bit extreme to me, so I'm only going to refund 0.1xMoS AP up to 0.9 so it costs at least 0.1 no matter how critical your success is. I'm also going to apply extra AP cost equal to MoFx0.1 which only penalizes me since I'm the only one who has failed rolls so far.

Here's how it goes:
  • 1aa) your brawling punch to torso 5<12, MoS 7 refunds you 0.7 AP
    1ab) my boxing parry 8<12, MoS 4, refunds me 0.4 AP
    1ba) my boxing punch to random location 11<16, refunds me 0.5 AP
    1bb) your brawling parry 9<12 refunds you 0.3 AP
    2aa) your brawling punch to shins 8<10 (applying -2 for crouching so its not 12, keep in mind this can limit how deceptive attacks can be, but since this doesn't reduce you below 10 and you still passed it doesn't matter) refunds you 0.2 AP
    2ab) my boxing parry 13>11 costs me an extra 0.2 AP
    2ac) my roll with blow 14>12 costs me an extra 0.2 AP
Total refund to you: 0.7+0.3+0.2=1.2 extra, bringing you from 7/10 AP up to 8.2/10 AP
Total refund to me: 0.4+0.5-0.2-0.2=0.5 extra, bringing me from 0/10 AP up to 0.5/12 AP

I must double the basic damage roll (4>8) to determine knockback. 8 is still less than 10 (ST-2) so I do not suffer any knockback from your attack.

RWB says to make a DX roll at -1 per yard of knockback to avoid falling. Since this is already how knockback works, I am going to choose to interpret that as an additional DX roll, not a reminder of what to do only in cases where knockback occurs, which means I need to roll DX-0 to avoid falling down any time I use RWB, regardless of outcome.

I rolled a 14 vs my DX of 12, so I am now in a state of "falling down". Actually, after I made this roll I realized that since I did not halve the damage, I should have applied shock penalties to DX (12-3=9) something to keep in mind for the future. This increases my MoF from 2 to 5.

Do you think DX checks to avoid falling down should cost AP? I'm liking this idea, since it would allow people who want to conserve AP to simply opt to fall down if they'd like, though it's probably not a smart idea to do that because if you take damage from the fall you'd lose AP equal to shock.

I think I'm going to do that, so I lose 1.5 more AP (+0.5 is due to MoF) which brings me to -1.0. Due to that, I am forced to expend 1 FP (12>11) to get back HT/2=6 AP, bringing me up to 5.0/12 AP.

Since I am now "falling down", I am going to use the Breakfall technique (MA68) which defaults to Acrobatics. Much like with RWB / DX check since Last Gasp doesn't actually address AP costs for these, I'm going to house-rule that this technique has a cost of 1 AP to do, like an active defense.

My DX 12 gives me Acrobatics 6 by default normally, but the -3 due to shock means the default is a mere 3, just barely allowing me the option to do so.

I rolled an 11, MoF=8 so the total cost of 1.8 AP reduces me to from 5.0AP to 3.2AP.

I'm hitting the ground now. Using B431 "Hit Locations from a Fall". I roll a 9 so I land on my chest, rolling sublocation D. Rolled a 5, avoided the Vitals.

Given that centre of mass of a 6ft tall person is approximately 3ft I'm going to treat falls from standing as 1 yard, resultig in velocity 5.

B430 damage from collisions, HPxVelocity is 12x5=60, 60/100 dice of crushing damage is 0.6 dice, any fraction larger than 0.5 is 1d-1. I roll 5-1=4. This is going to suck...

TWEAK: I think since am charging AP for Roll With Blow / DX to avoid fall / Breakfall like with active defenses that they benefit from the +1 from One Foe as well. I didn't include this in my rolls and I failed them all by more than 1 so it doesn't result in passing any of them, but due to that, am going to refund 0.3 AP as they would have lessened the MoF penalties. This brings me from 3.2 AP to 3.5 AP.

Last edited by Plane; 11-12-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: tweaking
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote