View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Of course, there's no telling that someone actually does lift their foot off the ground (shufflers) and even though flexible people can punch the foot "easy" that's probably just be absorbing the -2.

That's why I figure the random hit location should be more like "ignore basic penalties, but still take standard posture penalties if they're required to hit it, and Do Nothing if you don't want to crouch and take the -2)

Frankly, I'd be happiest with saying that all low blows are rerolled on the random hit table, or that leg/foot hits are converted to arm/hand. I feel strongly that rolling on the random hit table should not change your posture. Also, "crouching" is not a posture (at least not in basic). Its either standing or Kneeling, and I think Kneeling is overkill.

Quote:
This is "Injury over HP/5, up to HP/3" on MA136
Thank you for the reference!

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking of left/right it occurs to me we do not know our characters' handedness. Do you want to assume we're both ambidextrous, both right-handed? I'm going to selfishly say "I'm not left-handed".

Its your foot, so it doesn't matter. I'm game with us both being right handers.

Quote:
I won't benefit now since I failed my roll, but would you want to use the "let the same HT roll mitigate both shock and AP loss" guideline in the next paragraph in the future? In that case you would still penalize the HT roll by full shock, but then possibly lessen shock for future considerations if passing it.

Yes, that's fine with me.

Quote:
I don't want to use "halve injury (round down) when figuring shock", that's why we have High Pain Threshold! I like every point of damage mattering... Since HP20 takes 1 shock per 2 dmg (high HP and Shock, B419) we could use 1 shock per HP/10 damage but that would favor Arthur Green (HP 12) over Zack Red (HP 10) and leave me with only -3 shock (more than 3.6 less than 4.8) and 1 AP instead of 0, so... your choice.
It lists that as an "OR" option, and I agree the mitigating HT roll is enough. Though that actually gives green the bigger advantage, because he's got much better HT. Lets use the mitigating HT roll.

Quote:
Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure if you can use Slips/Sideslips in close combat, because moving to any hex but the one you're sharing with your enemy is moving away from him, and would be a standard +3 retreat...

My perspective here though is that if I am trying to exit through your side's half, 3 hexes normally denied, moving THROUGH you, that this is initially moving toward you and so would only give a +1.

I can see why that would look like a side slip. By RAW, I don't think a slip or a side slip is possible, because of the movement restrictions. Basic page 391 covers Leaving a foe's hex in close combat, and is fairly explicit about which hexes are legal to step to. It talks about the need to evade in order to move past other characters as well.

Quote:
Since we started 1 yard apart, on your first turn when you punched to the torso you had to have used your free step. This would've made it cost 1 AP to retreat from Green's punch to Red's pelvis, perhaps why you didn't? :)
Correct, and also I'm used to using only one step per round, including the retreat. Not sure if that's a house rule or not.

Quote:
B368 requires I ask if you want to stop me from moving behind you or not. Do you? This also gives you a chance to state preference for scaling shock tiers or not so I know whether to roll at -3 or -4 if you resist.

Yes, You cannot move behind me! and its a DX contest where I have a bonus, you have a shock penalty, and I'm standing for -5 to your roll. I think that's a base difference of 11!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote