View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Naw, spending extra energy shouldn't take more time, you just spend the energy. You don't need to free it, you just suddenly do it. Auto-spending FP to bring your AP from involuntary loss up to 0 sounds fine.
The "possibly takes time" idea is mostly to prevent people spending FP too quickly. The original system that that problem where if you used Extra Effort on both an attack/defense every second, you could burn through 10 FP in 5 seconds and fall unconscious very quickly. I guess converting EE costs to AP with a decent ratio solves that.
Maybe something like allowing

Quote:
As a note, you get 50 percent of AP from an FP, not 50 AP.
Actually, SW restores AP equal to 50% of your HT, so buying extra AP won't improve the amount you get per HP, so people who buy up AP apart from Health might want to buy up SW to get an improved ratio. At 5/level it's like people start with 5 levels for free [25].

It's hard to envision the math as % of HT, I think I'd prefer something like "get back 1 AP per level by spending 1 FP" otherwise it's like each point of HT has a built in "restore 0.1 AP per level of Second Wind" but then it's like Second Wind has a "restore 0.1 AP per level of HT" so it's all multiplicative...

Quote:
It is almost always worth it to deceptive attack until you're down in the 12 or 13 range. This works because 50% of the 3d6 probability is between 8 and 12. If their defense is above 8 and you have a 14 or higher for your attack, go deceptive.
It won't even increase the chances of critical failure, and critical successes only happen if you rise above 14.

Quote:
This thread is relevant. Basically, I rolled on the table for hit location, and so I don't get penalties. That said, on page 99 of martial arts it details additional penalties to locations in postures. punching a foot isn't mentioned, but it talks about punching a prone foe requiring "the attacker to stoop into a near-crouch", and inflicting a -2 penalty.
That matches up with Kromm's "You can easily hammer-fist a foot when someone is running and his foot is off the ground, and flexible person really can drop and punch the foot that easy"

Of course, there's no telling that someone actually does lift their foot off the ground (shufflers) and even though flexible people can punch the foot "easy" that's probably just be absorbing the -2.

That's why I figure the random hit location should be more like "ignore basic penalties, but still take standard posture penalties if they're required to hit it, and Do Nothing if you don't want to crouch and take the -2)

Quote:
Martial page 124 has an option for this... but it looks like it only applies to shins vs. shins or attacks vs. skulls. Its also quite optional.

Quote:
6 - 2 = 4 damage! max hit! (but not a major nor crippling wound, sadly).
Dang, this reduces me from 12 HP to 8 HP. This may not be a major wound, but it does inflict Partial Injuries to... hm you didn't say WHICH leg but I can see result 13 on the table is "Left (Left)".

This is "Injury over HP/5, up to HP/3" on MA136 so in HT*2 (24) seconds to kick/move/dodge to contend with. In the meantime, I only have the -4 to DX/IQ to deal with. I believe we should also use the "Bruised Knuckles" rule on MA124 where any hits attacks performed with an injured limb suffer lost HP in shock, mitigated by taking a damage penalty. It's not going to affect me much since I don't plan on kicking you!

Now that I'm thinking of left/right it occurs to me we do not know our characters' handedness. Do you want to assume we're both ambidextrous, both right-handed? I'm going to selfishly say "I'm not left-handed".

- - -

Page 9 of Last Gasp "Injury and Damage" means I would also lose 4 AP, less whatever I can mitigate AP loss by the margin of victory on an HT roll which suffers the shock penalty, so I have to roll against HT-4, or 8 or less.

I rolled a 14, a failure. My "Feverish Dodge" would've reduced AP from 7 to 4, so my AP is reduced from 4 to 0.

I won't benefit now since I failed my roll, but would you want to use the "let the same HT roll mitigate both shock and AP loss" guideline in the next paragraph in the future? In that case you would still penalize the HT roll by full shock, but then possibly lessen shock for future considerations if passing it.

I don't want to use "halve injury (round down) when figuring shock", that's why we have High Pain Threshold! I like every point of damage mattering... Since HP20 takes 1 shock per 2 dmg (high HP and Shock, B419) we could use 1 shock per HP/10 damage but that would favor Arthur Green (HP 12) over Zack Red (HP 10) and leave me with only -3 shock (more than 3.6 less than 4.8) and 1 AP instead of 0, so... your choice.

Quote:
Where are the rules for slipping?
MA123, Retreat Options, continued on 124 (upper left)

Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure if you can use Slips/Sideslips in close combat, because moving to any hex but the one you're sharing with your enemy is moving away from him, and would be a standard +3 retreat...

My perspective here though is that if I am trying to exit through your side's half, 3 hexes normally denied, moving THROUGH you, that this is initially moving toward you and so would only give a +1.

Since we started 1 yard apart, on your first turn when you punched to the torso you had to have used your free step. This would've made it cost 1 AP to retreat from Green's punch to Red's pelvis, perhaps why you didn't? :)

Since we were already in range C, I didn't use my free step, which is why I was able to retreat against your 2nd attack. I probably should've done it against your 1st but you already rolled the damage and that would've stopped me from counter-attacking...

B368 requires I ask if you want to stop me from moving behind you or not. Do you? This also gives you a chance to state preference for scaling shock tiers or not so I know whether to roll at -3 or -4 if you resist.

Last edited by Plane; 11-10-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote