View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #772
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Personally, I think that TFT's greatest opportunity as a roleplaying game (as opposed to the arena games) is as a truly lightweight system that's capable of delivering a good old school roleplaying experience.

That's why I'd be VERY careful not to complicate the system.

I don't know the reasoning or story behind Dungeon Fantasy, but here would be my concerns:

1. It's a subset of a very complex RPG that also claims to be completely compatible with its parent game. I'm not sure you can maintain complete fidelity with GURPS, yet replicate a classic dungeon crawl experience. GURPS is realistically deadly; dungeon crawls allow for far more combats than a normal GURPS character would be expected to handle.

2. I think there's a marketing issue - the perception that it's a "starter" or "dumbed-down" version of the "real" game. I think - just my opinion - that gamers generally want the "full" version of a game.

3. I wasn't sure what there was about it that would entice buyers. Existing GURPS players probably have all of the material already; are they gonna pay for that same material only re-organized? What is it that would entice non-GURPS players to buy it? What does it offer players that AD&D, Pathfinder or D&D Xth edition don't already offer?

If these concerns are valid, TFT might be able to avoid them. Number 2 is obviously not a problem since TFT is a effectively a New Game. The part of Number 3 dealing with existing players wouldn't be a problem since current TFT players are numerically insignificant. And I think that SJG can articulate a number of things that TFT can do better than the competition - a combat system that's as detailed as 3+ ed D&D, yet far smoother and a very fast character generation system (while yielding fairly detailed characters) in particular.

Number 1 is my main concern - is TFT a good dungeon game? If not, can it be modified so that it is a good dungeon game, while retaining its other advantages?
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote