View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: RPGs in LOCAL Libraries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I was surprised to find that, in the consortium in my area, the only RPG books that turned up was an old hardcover edition of Call of Cthulhu and GURPS For Dummies. I would have guessed at least a D&D book. So, I've been working with my local librarian to have some examples of RPGs in our collection, and she has been very receptive to the idea.
I think the problem with game books that keeps them rare in libraries is they don't fit well into either use model for library books. They aren't something that a patron would want to read once and then never need again (which could go into the general circulating collection), or which somebody might occasionally come in to check a specific fact (which would go into non-circulating reference).

The way you use a game book is much like the way you'd use an equipment manual or a book of standard procedures - you refer to it often, on short notice, and for as long as you are still doing the thing at all. Libraries sometimes have software manuals or procedure books in ready reference, because occasionally a patron *does* need to check a specific fact about one once, but they know that's not how most people use them.

Now for games that have adventure modules - those actually might fit the general circulation model well enough to appear worthwhile to spend funds on, if there are enough people playing *that particular game* in the patron pool.