Thread: Zombie Killing
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Zombie Killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
If you go hand to hand with a zombie with a weapon you aren't familiar with then you deserve to get eaten.
That's a fair assessment, and the GURPS rules I mentioned above pretty much illustrate that very thing.

My question is "Does that make for good gameplay in a Zombie game where most of the characters are not skilled melee experts?"

Quote:
The only people who survive more than a few days are the ones who are already skilled with weapons or who are lucky enough not to get killed until they get skilled.
No arguments here. But does that make for a fun experience with there may not be more than one Melee-weapon-trained character in the whole party?

Also, how do you GET skilled without actually using weapons to kill zombies? I would imagine the price for failure while learning is "zombie food".

Quote:
The characters in Walking Dead have had a lot of experience killing these creatures and their weapon skills should reflect that. They also seem to have developed special techniques specifically to use against these creatures.
By Season 3/4, ABSOLUTELY. But it takes them a while to figure all of that out. In season 1/2 you see people like Dale and Andrea kill zombies with hits to the head and that is clearly before they get experienced at it.

Ultimately, I don't want it to be as easy as is on the show, but I want it to be MANAGEABLE by untrained characters. If I stick with the rules in the Basic Set and Martial Arts, it's not even close to manageable until the characters get some training/experience.

Quote:
The safest way for unskilled people to kill zombies would be to work in pairs. Start by knocking it down with long polearms. Once on the ground, one person uses his weapon to hold it in place while the second person hits the head until it stops moving.
That's actually a very good tactic, and something the characters would have to figure out on their own.

Maybe the best way to get them to come up with solutions like that is to stick with the rules and allow it to be just that hard for an untrained character to kill a zombie with a melee weapon.

Have you ever experienced that in an actual game?
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote