View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #43
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Wait Maneuver clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
But all of these require the shorter fighter to do something, perhaps requiring considerable speed and skill, to deal with the other's reach. It isn't an automatic function of just choosing a wait maneuver.
The shorter reach fighter did do something, he took a Wait.

I'm not sure why people want it to be "Take a Wait, and do something else." The something he did was Wait, and specify a trigger, and his opponent can either act and set off that trigger or not. He's taking a risk that he's just hanging out and not getting to do anything on his turn. That may not be a big risk, or a real cost, in all circumstances, but so what? He's found the right circumstances to do this in.

Yes, this works really well vs. a timid attacker who doesn't want to trigger a Wait, and when you just want to stand someone off. It also means short-reach fighters are better off either really pressing the advantage, or doing a Wait and then doing so, against a long-reach opponent. But that's not unrealistic IMO.

If this really bothers you, just make all Waits into Cascading Waits. Having played in 3e with lots of Waiting fighters being basically out-beat by better fighters, I think this is a bad idea. But if it's what you want, why not just do it and report back on how it worked out in play?
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote