View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Wait Maneuver clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
I don't think that "You've got one yard reach advantage, and advancing one yard means losing one yard worth of standoff" really explains anything. If Bill is two yards from Joe, and does a step-and-attack, he is now one yard from Joe--close enough to attack Joe but not so close Joe can attack him. The only way Joe gets to hit Bill first is if Joe can then suddenly step AND attack before Bill can complete his attack.

I mean, this could be easily tested. Just get a friend. Tie your arms behind your back. Then see if you can headbutt him before he can touch you with his hands. I bet that you cannot, not even if you are waiting for him and he moves toward you. And if you can, it'll be because he misses and/or you are much faster and more skillful than he is.
To belabor the terribly obvious, it characterizes the difference between standing on the defensive and pressing the attack in terms of spacing.

But what it really seems you're not accepting is that Wait gives you initiative, such that you can interrupt an opponent and perform your wait action at that point.