View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #57
Dalin

Default Re: Do you have any special rules/restrictions to regulate character advancement paci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
It'd be perfectly possible to play an interesting game with no character progression whatsoever.
Games can evolve to this point too. In my decade-long 3e Fantasy/Arabian Nights campaign, once the players grew to around 350-400 points, they stopped eagerly spending their earned points. It was an organic process that happened differently for each player, but I think they largely felt that their characters were appropriately competent for the storyline. The excitement of the game derived primarily from plot developments and complications rather than from better skills and new powers. For me, as a GM, this was a fun place to be because it stabilized the options I needed to keep track of in terms of balancing challenges.

Throughout this campaign, characters earned 2-3 points per session. Points were spent in consultation with me and had to have some basis in the story (using a skill, training with an advanced practitioner, studying in a library, etc.).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote