View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #24
Zoomfarg

Default Re: [4e] Magic - FP cost enchanting and storing FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You've only got _one_ second to exploit the energy from the Cone. Q&D takes an hour minimum.
Anyone in the Cone of Power ceremony can "drop out ... and take a Concentrate maneuver and make an IQ roll to draw on the Cone to power another spell, which must be cast starting on the next turn" (as long as one person who knows the spell remains in the ceremony). (Thaumatology, p. 52).

Do we have different interpretations of what "must be cast starting on the next turn" means? "Cast"--being the past participle of "to cast"--might mean that the casting of the spell must be complete on the next turn, i.e. casting time of one second, then no Planar Summons.

But then why specify "starting" on the next turn? Because of "starting", I understand the phrase to mean that casting must begin on the next turn. Additionally, don't many spells that require a lot of power also require a long casting time? I'm not that familiar with the spell list in Magic, but I can't imagine that Raise Cone of Power would be very useful if it was limited to spells with a casting time of one second.

Clearer wording might be 1) "the spell must be cast on the next turn", or better, "casting must be completed on the next turn", or 2) "casting must begin on the next turn".

Has there been official clarification that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Zoomfarg; 07-28-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Zoomfarg is offline   Reply With Quote