View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #43
robertsconley

Default Re: Fantasy Setting for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I

So, anyway, is it therefore proposed that three adventures, a monster book, and perhaps some character-building advice are "enough" to constitute a meaningfully detailed setting which currently reluctant gamers would be willing to adopt? That doesn't strike me as quite right. I should think that at the very least there should be an overview of the setting.
See this for what I would do for the format for the "Setting" included with the "Keep" module. http://www.goodman-games.com/downloa...DF-Preview.pdf. It packs a lot of information in a small amount of pages.

While there is room for creativity the point is to make a bog standard fantasy setting. Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Dungeons, etc. Not exciting but it what the vast majority of people use playing RPGs. Doing it this way allow GURPS to function as a substitute for D&D. Which was the original appeal back in the late 80s.

Again while Dungeon Fantasy is nice it goes too far in emulating D&D with it's 250 pt characters. Most GURPS Fantasy campaigns I know start down at the 150 pt level for a more realistic feel. But like the stripped down rulebook I mentioned I feel this is a minor point as opposed to having a handful of adventures and a Monster Manual.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote