View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #42
MatthewVilter

Default Re: Dodging while being levitated by Telekinesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Traditionally, magic just... works. Stabbing people just... happens. But in GURPS and most RPGs, there's some sort of skill or combat roll involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Agreed – and that's crucial here!

Games and fiction are not much alike. Games have multiple partners whose interests often diverge. The characters have agendas of their own, not dictated by a director or an author. Everybody gets a saving throw; everybody has the right to duck, luck out, oppose, resist, etc.
I'm afraid you have both deeply misunderstood me. I was speaking in response to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Depends on how it works. Will would be good if on a failure you just lose control. IQ doesn't really work for me, but if in either case you maybe suffer a fright check instead of HP of damage that might work. HT would be if you're physically straining yourself.

Or maybe you fail your Will roll and you suffer FP instead of HP, or suffer a Pain affliction (headaches) instead of a Pain affliction (pulled muscle).

I'm OK with any, so long as it's a good story. :-)
I was talking about the use of Will in place of HT when using TG. The idea, that instead of rolling ST (which I agree seems a bit silly) you roll HT modified by how close to the limit of you ST the task is, is a new one. It seems like a fine idea but I'm a bit sceptical about introducing Will as the standard/only power source for TK and of introducing painful feedback into the default version of TK. That's all.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote