View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
Elf Monkey

Default Re: Different Tech Levels

Wow. So you've both given me a lot to think about, I really appreciate this as I intend to use it as inspiration. I understand the difficulty of answering the question but it was intended to be broad so that I could bounce off of your input. I'm immediately going to pour my efforts into quantifying their wealth of knowledge and resources and go from there.

Do you think it would be possible for an early civilisation (like TL4) to go through something similar to The Enlightenment where they'd separate church and state and become an almost technocracy or something? The primary reason I chose for the difference in tech levels at first was because I saw these people to value intelligence, innovation and invention above all other virtues. So they shaped their culture around this. So until McAllister mentioned the religious hierarchy I pictured this culture to be secular from the 'petty deities' of the lesser cultures. Despite the plebeian's superstitious tendencies.

Once again thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I'll have to get back to you on the economy issue as well as it really is my weakest point when world building. Oh, while I'm on that... Is there any good literature to read about this?
Elf Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote