View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #3
Phil Masters

Default Re: Lady Sybil Vimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I'd be inclined to view the Ladies Who Organise as having Administration at high levels. Lady Sybil is quite able to run a great house and ably stewarded her many landholdings and estates before turning them over to Sir Samuel (later His Grace, the Duke of Ankh).

Lady Sybil can plan a world-ranging trip with a large staff at a moment's notice. She can manage complex logistic issues with ease and poise, without even appearing to need to invest any time in it. She also took over as Chargé d'affaires at a Morkporkian embassy and performed at world-class levels.
I'd not object to raising some of her skills a bit - I tend to the conservative while trying to avoid stat/skill bloat - but I'd interpret at least some of her accomplishments as using Housekeeping and money to get good staff, and then giving them more money to do their jobs well. She benefits from a lot of situational modifiers and quite often being underestimated.

My reading was always that the Patrician established the Duke of Ankh as a back-up ruler just in case and that a part of that back-up was the assumption that Lady Sybil would function as His Grace's chief of staff, however unofficially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
*Are Allies, Contacts, Contact Groups and Claim to Hospitality not part of the Discworld rules? Because she should have all of these.
Contacts are present, but I decided that Allies and such often add (somewhat abusable) complexity to things which can be better roleplayed out. You can have a small-a ally, but that's an NPC who you have to keep sweet and who the GM is fully licensed to play as having a mind of his or her own. So Lady Sybil's connections are other NPCs and part of the setting background, somewhat linked to her Status.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote