View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
offsides

Default Re: Cat's M2 Map Rules

Hmm... I see your point about reduced defense, though it also makes it easier to intercept anything incoming. So how about this: Treat all mountains like swamp, with the addition of a cumulative 1/2D penalty to all units in high mountains. INF get no bonus, and armor that risk going up that high are at 1/2D. Heck, now that I think about it, let's call low mountains 'foothills', and then can just call high mountains 'mountains'.

Alternately, just treat foothills as swamp, and mountains as clear for INF and impassable for all others. And I still like the idea that (high) mountains cannot be fired through, just into and out of, for reasons I've previously given. Though as an alternative I'd permit some sort of attack penalty (1/2A?) for firing through mountains to represent the greater interception chance while still allowing things like HWZ to fire over them. In fact, perhaps that's the solution - non laser attacks passing through one or more (high) mountain hexes are at a 1/2A penalty due to increased interception chances. It's not exactly the same as the HWZ/Ogre Missile attacks on submerged units rule, but it is similar...

(And for lasers? I think it has to be essentially a SSR that you can fire up the mountain, but LLOS is blocked at the first visible ridge - you can fire into that hex, but no further. Yes, I know this has the potential for abuse when the ridge is close to the near hexside, but it's simple.)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote