View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #25
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Caribbean by Night

One PC is a graduate student of anthropology, studying folklore and comparative mythology, with her PhD studies now focusing on the folklore and stories in communities of Caribbean immigrants in the US. She's at Rice University in Houston and background-wise will have been working with whichever Caribbean community that is most conveniently close, i.e. fieldwork in a suburb of Houston or at most a nearby city, rather than in Florida, New York, Boston or the Carbbean itself. Well, maybe a couple of trips to Caribbean islands, but more visits of up to a month each than the extended anthropological field study she may need to finish her degree.

She's a generational genius talent as an occultist, comparative mythologist, linguist and demonologist, but I haven't finished determining exactly what Caribbean languages she ought to know.

Defaulting from her native English is preferable, if only to make her rapid acquisition of fluency in several Caribbean, languages, creoles, patoises or dialects mosy plausible, but I think the character will have known at least some French before getting interested in the Caribbean, and she might well know also one or more of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian or German. From earlier studies, also reads, with various degrees of fluency, a surprising number of esoteric languages, including Vulgate Latin, Koine Greek, Biblical Aramaic and Hebrew. This might or might not include archaic dialects of French, German and other languages likely to be required, beside Latin, to read dusty old tomes of demonology.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-02-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote