View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: Ceremonial Magic used to support an army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
That 100 extra fatigue comes from the onlookers, and it takes them 10m to recover it.
Oh. I just figured you'd have each person bring their own onlookers. Or you could ten wizards with Lend Energy and Recover Energy standing there helping. Maybe power it with powerstones.

Quote:
And? There are people other than the military with money.
Sure there are. A wealthy slaver could start raising his slaves into wizards, if that was legal. But if it's not politicians doing it, and it's not religious institutions doing it, and it's not other wizards doing it (which I doubt it would be, since I don't see them ending up as freemen), then there aren't going to be many people with the money to do it in a medieval (or earlier) economy. I could easily see some law that you have to be a senator to train your own wizards, if only to ensure that the person doing it has the wealth to keep them in line. Maybe there will be certain spells that aren't regulated and that anyone is allowed to teach or learn, but I doubt it. It makes it more difficult to monitor them than if the state takes them all at birth after detecting them with a simple Aura spell. If you're a king or an emperor or a senator or a whatever and you want to maintain your power, then that means controlling the wizards. I would be inclined to treat them like modern states treat nuclear weapons.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote