View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #54
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: Ceremonial Magic used to support an army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Shrug. Doesn't matter that much, since it's not like there's any real need for casting youth on 100% of the population.
I was thinking it would be a small enough number that they wouldn't be able to everyone who wanted to pay for it, and so it had a very high price. But since the casting time is so low on it...

How did you get that they could only cast it 48 times a day? Isn't it ten seconds to cast? If they only got one off a minute for eight hours a day, that would be 480 a day. And they could in theory cast many more than those with the right infrastructure in place. It really doesn't make any sense to have Youth cast in such a short amount of time. I would house rule to ten minutes or an hour or something.

Not that it matters. The point still stands. Just replace Youth with Resurrection. I could easily see having all the Magery 3 people churning out nothing but Youths and Resurrections and three-point Blesses (which all the members of the aristocracy will have to have). I don't know what the numbers would be for accidental deaths in this world, and then add in Bless.... And I think that Bless is going to be such an economic boon that you want to keep it cast on everyone. Depending on the circumstances, you might see lots of resurrections as well. Imagine elite soldiers you can keep alive for centuries with Youth, and at their prime, no! better than their prime, because they've spent centuries training and fighting. You send them off to battle and then Resurrect the fallen.

I think those sorts of things might be in very high demand.

Quote:
Why would most wizards be in the military? I'd expect the same portion of wizards in the military as the portion of GDP spent on the military, so probably fewer than 10%.
Because you have to pay to train them. Unless we're allowing the Spellgraft spell. If we're allowing that, then you're right. Anyone and everyone is a trained wizard. Otherwise, who can afford to train them? The church? Good luck getting some of the limited supply of people born with Magery. I'm sure the ruler will allow that to happen.

These people are going to be viewed as too dangerous to the political rulers to be allowed to do as they please. People who can potentially have mind control magic are not going to be allowed to live free lives and study magic as they please. I would expect the rulers to keep access to learning magic to themselves, the same as they do with their top secret technologies today. I don't know the capabilities of their secret spy planes, and the only people who would get access to learning magic are people the rulers are sure aren't going to use it to threaten them.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote