View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Grappling and Concentrate (or other forbidden maneuvers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Do you have Technical Grappling? In that, Concentrate is not a forbidden maneuver, but rather requires an activation roll of Will, with a penalty based on the grappling foe's current effective ST.
A bit of context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
After following this rather interesting thread - and not having much to add to the basic topic than stating that I also do not really feel won over by technical grappling despite liking rule crunch in general, thus being most of all in vicky mookh's camp - I did want to invite more attention to the issue of the last few posts of grappling and concentration, and thus allowed myself to make the thread below:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...83#post1836483

I think it is a sufficiently important topic to have it specifically addressed, I would be happy if anyone interested in that discussion would have a look at it.

Otherwise...

Maybe it would be useful to make a "technical grappling to Basic Set / Martial Arts" conversion of some of the rules and ideas, I did in particular like that it had some input on telekinesis, grappling and the effect of being lifted into the air as I myself had been discussing it on here.

If I get to it, I may read Technical Grappling more thoroughly myself and make notes on any good concept or rule that can be added to the Basic Set approach to grappling.

I myself have used quite a bit of grappling in my time and I must say, unlike thing such as the slam rules (which indeed produce headaches on table and away from it), grappling did seem very workable to me, I rarely encountered any problem aside maybe from extreme cases only ever popping up in theory (human grappling dinosaur and imposing a dex penalty at all, regular contest pins being highly dependent on when you apply the "mutual reduction" of strength and such).