View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #18
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: A Wizardry Talent (unpublished 1982 Interplay article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
A campaign-logic/situation side-effect of having wizardry be a talent, is that it implies anyone could train in it.

So for example, an organization (guild, military, slaver, etc) could in theory train any number of wizards, which potentially has huge implications for how common wizards are, industrial magic, ubiquitous magic, etc.

Also, in the context of the new XP system, it also implies that in games where a lot of XP is given out, high-level fighters with a bunch of XP wondering what to do with it might want to consider becoming wizards . . .

(Of course, to some players, that might sound interesting or cool, but some of us might rather like campaign worlds where only 1 in 300 people are wizards, and it isn't just something a person can pick up through study.)
I feel like something got lost in translation....

My Wizardry Talent as proposed in my article and used by my group, or the Apprentice+Wizardry talents combo Chris invented and shared with us, are the most expensive Talents in the entire game. Nothing else costs more than 3, few cost more than 2, but these cost 7, 8 or 9 with prerequisites. The only way to make anything "rare and unusual" in this game is to make it expensive, and these talents cost way more than all the others. The talents needed to become experts and masters in all the other fields don't cost as much as we charge for someone to be a starting wizard. How is that encouraging all the common NPCs in our worlds to become wizards?

Besides that, the proportions of wizards to everyone else in any campaign world isn't determined by any rule anywhere, it's entirely up to the GM -- that's the final authority on anything like that.

Player characters on the other hand are built by the players. Some players only build wizards, some heroes, and some both. These proposed wizardry talents aren't making it any "cheaper" to build a wizard, but rather more expensive in its way. Under the RAW it's free to make your character a wizard, not something you have to spend half or more of your talent points on. And to maintain the original balance of power, with my Wizardry Talent the other talents no longer cost wizards double so that it all evens out. It's just less rules for the same effect.

If you're worried about a non-wizard player character choosing to change careers and become a wizard sometime after they were built, you (1) aren't going to see any stampedes, the Wizardry talents are too expensive for that, and (2) nobody can just say hey, I've decided to spend these 8 talent points I haven't been using, tomorrow morning I'll wake up as a wizard. No GM would allow that, would you? That would be like allowing the desert nomad player character suddenly becoming a Seaman+Shipbuilder overnight! No, no, nooooo. The hero character who wants to change and become a wizard has to find teachers, a school of magic, get accepted by the Guild, go off to study for years -- all things totally under the GM's control.

There is nothing to be afraid of here!

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 08-01-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote