View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #16
Chris Rice

Default Re: A Wizardry Talent (unpublished 1982 Interplay article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Skarg beat me to it... I also think that wizardry as a talent that any anyone can learn would create a society with far more wizards than the default assumption for Cidri. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I prefer the rarity currently implied in the rules.

In fact, I have further expanded on the idea "wizards are born, not made" by establishing that, in my campaign, the ability to perceive and influence the forces responsible for 'magic' is a genetic mutation found sporadically throughout the diverse races inhabiting Cidri. Individuals w/o this marker can never learn how to cast spells, though there is a segment of the population who may, with difficulty, unlock a latent predisposition for magic use (i.e. heroes who pay a higher 'cost' to learn spells).

TBH, though, doesn't the ability to aquire spells or talents independent of IQ increases remove one of the justifications for such a rule?
There's no rarity of Wizardy in TFT at all at the moment if you follow the RAW exactly. In any case, just because a Talent exists doesn't mean that it will or should be be readily available to NPCs. Is your campaign world overrun with Alchemists, Boomerang throwers, etc? I doubt it.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote