View Single Post
Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #19
larsdangly

Default Re: New Xp System: Not a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
How, exactly? I mean, having a 20 in all your attributes doesn't make you invulnerable. A group of strong orcs with two handed weapons hit you just as easily as they hit a character with 10s in all of theirs. Other than being good at most things (and even in the old days, you were capped by IQ at how much you could be good at), how exactly did the system break down? I see that you would hit all the time in combat, and do a lot of damage with a hit. But that's true for most FRPGs at high level.
It is true that 60 point characters in TFT are still subject to being killed. The issue is that they are tend to be the same as one another, because the value of an added stat point diminishes sharply as you move up through the 15-20 range, and becomes pretty insignificant above 20. Thus, you will always trend toward a 20-20-20 'build'. These sorts of characters are similarly good at everything, almost always succeed at all die rolls, and are just generally boors. This is a matter of taste so of course some people will have their own reasons for liking this style of play. But it's clearly outside the 'design space' of the core system, and I feel like most people who have experienced it remember it as a bad thing.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote