View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
platimus

Default Re: Why do Priests exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I invented some new talents for each religion, including Christianity, but unlike my many later GURPS campaigns, my TFT campaigns only had NPC religious figures, and there were zero to near-zero religious powers.

But if anyone besides the GM had cared, they would have found something like this (for Christianity):

Christianity

Devout - IQ 6 (1+) You take your Christianity extremely seriously and behave as such all day. It's almost impossible for anyone to challenge your devotion. You believe your devotion is extremely important, but whether it has more than social effects is up to the GM. You can spend as many IQ points as you want on this.

Christian Spirituality - IQ 8 (1+) You have a sincere personal spiritual relationship to a Christian context. This will have different meaning and effects for different people. Up to the GM whether it influences any events outside yourself. You can spend as many IQ points as you want on this.

Christianity - IQ 8 (1) You know about Christianity in detail. The studious flock and people who attend regularly and listen have this.

Monk - IQ 8 (1) prereq: Christianity. You know how to be a Christian monk, and probably are one,

Nun - IQ 8 (1) prereq: Christianity. You know how to be a Christian nun, and probably are one,

Priest - IQ 9 (1) prereq: Christianity. You know how to be a Christian priest, and probably are one, Knows some philosophy, much Bible, Church law, etc. Requires years of instruction.

Christian Theologian - IQ 10 (2) prereq: Priest. The knowledge and talent required to behave appropriately and be an effective Christian high cleric. More knowledge of church law, high rituals, church doctrine, politics, sects, orders, factions, history, etc.
I applaud your effort to create a heirachy. I've been thinking of something similar that I think would apply to almost all religions...

Faith(religion) IQ 6 (1)
Acolyte(religion) IQ 8 (1) prereq: Faith(religion).
Priest(religion) IQ 10 (1) prereq: Acolyte(religion).
High-Priest(religion) IQ 12 (1) prereq: Priest(religion). [this replaces Theologian]

I consider things like Monk/Nun to be more like sects/orders/specializations within a religion.

I'm still fuzzy on what effects will be there and where but I do plan on adding "spell casting" from memory and written texts in there. In our scientific world, we have Christians, Scientist, and Christian Scientist -- people with Phd's in everything from medicine and psychology to astrophysics who approach learning from a christian perspective. In a world that has magic such as Cidri, it seems natural to me that magic would intermingle with religions. You'd have Christians, Wizards, and Christian Wizards.