View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
JLV

Default Re: Converting GURPS characters to TFT

I'm kind of lazy, so what I've done (and I've used many a GURPS module or splat book in my TFT campaigns over the years) is simply this:

GURPS = TFT
IQ = IQ
DX = DX
ST+HT/2 = ST

Movement rates, I'll figure based on TFT's "humans go 10 hexes" standard (though, honestly, Movement Allowances is one of the areas where I think some better rules could be drafted for TFT to help better reflect "reality" (not ALL humans run at the same rate, etc. and encumbrances can and should change that in a logically consistent way).

This system makes the conversions fast, and tends to work okay. Sometimes, I'll jigger things a little bit to make sure the character/creature "feels" right, but that's highly subjective, and needs to be done to individual taste.

Spells, I'll just find the closest equivalents I can, and if it's something that doesn't even exist in TFT, I'll either make something up (if it's really important) or ignore it.

Talents, the same as Spells.

Magic Items and stuff, the same as Spells.

Advantages and disadvantages, I pretty much ignore, unless they translate well into some TFT Talent or Spell. Most of them would fall more under the "reaction rolls" section of ITL anyway, and should be noted in that regard instead, though even there it's probably best to just note that the character receives a plus or minus to his reaction rolls due to poor personal hygiene or something...

Like I said, the lazy man's way of doing things, but it works well enough and gives me results generally fairly close to what the GURPS module or splat book is indicating, without spending a week converting things.

(Which is not to knock Skarg's or Jim's thoughts on this -- they are absolutely correct in pretty much everything they said, it's just that I'm really lazy (did I mention that before?) and I find this "close enough" to work without burning neurons on the math that would really be required to get an exact equivalence.)

Last edited by JLV; 06-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote