View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #43
demonsbane

Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Dude, are you Nichiren or something? WTF?
I'm talking about some things related to the Parampara, or Buddhist lineages. You don't understand the passages you're quoting are suitable only once you're stablished in the path, and no one is really stablished in the path without receiving the empowered means.

You're talking and quoting without understanding.

Quote:
Well, one Siddhartha Gautama did it all by his lonesome. The idea of him being just another person is paramount in understanding Buddhism. He did it, so can you
Gautama was an avâtara. Naturally, a "divine-human being" implies a bunch of paradoxes, and we're used to the simplification and humanization of all spiritual figures.

Just another example: Muhammad in Islam is also regarded as just another person, but inside the spiritual path, deeper than faith, things aren't so simple. The same, again, is applicable to Buddhism.

An avâtara can start a spiritual line without he being worshipped as a God nor as any other thing. Buddha did that. Others did the same, too.

Quote:
Also, consider this, from Thich Nhat Hanh
All that you're quoting is extremely basic but correct, however I can't say the same about your understanding of it. The point is once you're really stablished in the path, with the working means, you must follow the teachings.

Just don't quote fragments of them in wrong contexts. That turns them into sources of ignorance. Also, you can apply such lines to yourself for psychological results. The problem is such elemental lines are easily misunderstood, so you can hurt yourself trying to play with them.

Quote:
I have no idea what that means. Or, rather, it could mean so many things I don't understand what you are trying to say.
I don't believe that.

Quote:
As far as I can tell, you have received some kind of pat on the head by a grand high lama somewhere, and you think that this means that you have perfect understanding that can be obtained no other way. That's so wrong it's actually creepy. Please be so kind as to send me your pic, so that should I see you walking down the road toward me, I can hit you with a stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
people used to despise all kind of authority rages hearing things like these
You're completely wrong about me, too. One could say you're trying to turn this into personal animosity, but I don't play that game.

Quote:
[note to mods, this is a Buddhist koan in joke, not a threat of violence]
You are just disguising your confrontational attitude.

Returning to the interests of the OP, I'm waiting for these lenses you were speaking in an earlier post. Now I'm not informative but curious.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+