View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Icelander

Default Re: Vehicles and Weapons from Fantasy giving me problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif
If I recall correctly, Bill Stoddard said that he designed the vehicles under VE for 3rd edition, then converted to 4E with corrections for historical data. If we assume that the acceleration of .03 is an errata, and assume that it's an errata because Bill miscalculated the Aquatic Motive Thrust, and assume I'm remembering algebra correctly, the corrected top speed would be 3*(cube root of 10), or move 6.

Note the three "assumes" in there.
Is this if you assume Acceleration of 0,3? I don't have Vehicles, so I have no idea how this is figured or why an Acceleration of 0,2 yields a top speed of 7 (12 knots) for the dhow and galleon.

Well, if it's right it's immediately better than the Pirate 'ship' making a top speed of Move 3 (5 knots), but there's still the problem of the Armada galleon making 12 knots. Those relative speeds are out of whack.

No historical galleon of that size that I've heard about was that fast. Even the English race-built galleons weren't near that speed.

Didn't anyone like Pulver or Kromm check Stoddard's stats? Those little tables in Fantasy include so many questionable numbers and clear typos or formatting errors that they seem out of place in a GURPS book.

I wouldn't mind if it was just a couple of examples to tide us over until we get a real supplement with ships and low-tech artillery, but Cabaret Chicks on Ice, the TL0-TL4 tech book, has been an awful long time in coming. And since the vast majority of all fantasy worlds are TL2-TL4, that's hurting my gaming and forcing me to vaste valuable time on research that I want to be able to pay authors to do for me.

Last edited by Icelander; 11-06-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote