View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
starslayer

Default Re: Weirdness Magnet Ideas for a DF Wizard

See I normally look at weirdness magnet as 'not necessarily good, not necessarily bad, but definitely complicated and often disturbing'. Proper skill rolls should be required every time a weirdness magnet event pops up to avoid disaster, but proper manipulation of such should occasionally allow a positive use.

Essentially I make EVERY NPC that a weirdness magnet deals with be an exception/fantastical; If goblins are traditional lazy and stupid then the goblin the magnet deals with will be of particular intellect, dedication, loyalty, or all three.

No ally, hiring, or other long term connection is straightforward- bought a horse, it's actually a very fat changling who made itself look like a horse as some sort of strange sexual perversion; also explains why you always woke up with drool on your pillow for the last 6 weeks. Pushed someone out of the way at a bar- well as it turns out they had been cursed with X and now they must marry the PC to keep the curse lifted.

This is of course disastrous if defeating a foe requires making use of its races weakness, since the one thing that can be guaranteed is that that weakness is not present on this particular specimen how or why this is the case will leave to be seen (and again may lead to another weakness or way to cancel the weakness with proper application of skills), or perhaps never explained but the party can thank the magnet for why all of there preparation in acquiring silver coated weapons had no effect on the werewolf.

Further social situations that the magnet deals with will often have hefty penalties if not properly researched; example: the merchant is a sadomasochist he'll react at -4 to pleasantries, but +4 to threats of violence.

Coincidentally weirdness magnet is one of the those disadvantages where I look at the player and go 'Are you SURE?' if they put it on there sheet.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote