View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #33
Sindri

Default Re: Balancing High Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
That is a disadvantage but its a specific one to do with resources rather than say a combat one, and IME resources are either a problem for everything (PC's are skint) or it no problem at all (PC's are flush)*. However S&S to me infers less resource management and more loin clothes (but S&S varies, yours may not)

*although having to go without armour can quickly become a combat disadvantage!
Resources is a rather broad term and many games include resource management in one arena but not others. CP are resources but never really become fully flush without fundamental game alterations. Monetary cost is very often a meaningless variable except under unusual circumstances. Weight can be normally meaningless like that but it's common for money to be practically unlimited but encumbrance to remain at best only slightly improved for worn items and low tech characters can use up huge amounts of encumbrance on armour. If Sword and Sorcery here means a dominant strategy of loin cloths then encumbrance is indeed a niche utility but if there aren't any factors pushing absolutely no armour that the PCs could easily end up wearing armour at least as commonly as literary Conan.

Quote:
Fair enough, for me someone with the typical advantages that tend to go with being very big have little difficulty it meeting the extra upkeep cost, but different campaign types differ.
The "typical" advantages (and I don't think they are as typical as people assume. Thin and not particularly strong SM +1 elflike races aren't uncommon) cost points in their own right and only one of them is mildly discounted. I wouldn't actually imagine the typical advantages of SM +1 characters as including additional ability to pay upkeep costs either (are barbarians all rich? Actually an interesting idea now that I think about it)

Quote:
True but unless that Giant has ST10 they are still going to see some benefit. The thing is SM+ makes big strong builds easier that is one of it's advantages*. If however you don't want to take advantage of that that's your decision rather than a failing of the SM+ costing (IMO).

*especially when you factor in the Grappling advantages, (SM and ST value add to each other, and SM makes ST cheaper)
First of all the rules have to function in the case of a ST 10 giant instead of flipping out and giving up. Second, if a character is disadvantaged the same as another but is getting less points a problem exists even if both are getting some compensation. Finally this thread isn't people who took out the ST limitation from SM and are now finding it unbalanced. Remember an SM +1 character with 20 ST is getting only 10 points back. Positive SM does not work. If you are going to balance it anyway you just might as well replace the dubious preexisting balance measures.

Quote:
Just to say this last issue will possible stand out less depending on if you run variable armour weight by Character weight (i,e the increase is smoother) also IME the Increase in Bl that goes with teh Increases ST which in genralk tends to go with Increased SM.
That could work out rather awkwardly. Mass in gurps is supposed to be a zero point feature and the system is built around that. As it stands everyone could choose whatever SM and just state that they weigh a pound.You can certainly build a working system around scaling armour weight by character size (being made of lead shouldn't make your armour weigh more) and there are significant advantages in doing so but it has serious downsides that need to be overcome.

Last edited by Sindri; 11-07-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote