View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #47
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Can a Navy SEAL be made for 200 cps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS
Ah, but I might add that I'd be wary of including a Talent in a template. Sure, something like Born Soldier might be common with SEALs or other soldiers, but in the end, probably as many as not would not have it -- they need to work hard for their skills just like the next grunt. It is a good advantage for military chaps, but it shouldn't be a REQUIREMENT.
I don't know . . . I've heard tales that one doesn't work to become an <insert elite special-ops trooper>; one is born an <insert elite special-ops trooper>. It could be hooey. But if it isn't hooey -- and, boy, armed services really do like their tests and cuts! -- then it makes sense that only "natural soldiers" ever get into the unit. Frankly, I think lots of professions are like this. "Professional Orchestra Performer" would almost certainly have Musical Ability, and I would wager that "Inventor" needs Artificer. Careerists in most rarified professions are almost certainly naturals. There just aren't enough jobs to make room for those who lack a natural edge.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote