View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #62
demonsbane

Default Re: Game of Thrones [Req.Social Advantages]

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I find many attempts by actual scholars to model contemporary and historical social structures to be greatly deficient or deeply flawed.
I'm rather dubious about very complex systems to model social structures in the context of an RPG.
Of course, but anyway that is happening all the time in many areas. Despite its pretenses, academic scholarship is far of being cold, clean, free of subjectivity, empty of passionate polemics and personal biases. I understand that people more or less specialized in any of the touched areas is prone to be more sensitive and critical about the material.

Quote:
(. . .) Still, I'm of the mind that all you really need to run a game set in Westeros is the Basic Set.
Quote:
Still, I'll check out Social Engnineering when it comes out.
Per my understanding, the SE book will not be modeling these or those social structures; rather, it develops and enhances the existing tools in the Basic Set for handling social traits like Status, Wealth, Rank (etc) taking the things to a new level of sophistication for you addressing better subjects like the ones discussed in this thread -and of course, there is more.

In other words, it isn't a catalog of social structures, but more akin to a toolkit for defining your own ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Maesters have rank within the Citadel, it doesn't seem like the length of the chain matters as much elsewhere. Doesn't Social Engineering supposedly have rules for this kind of advantage?
It will help to address these kind of subjects in finer detail, avoiding current oversimplifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofJohn View Post
Dammit now have to buy it .....
I hope it will be released sooner than later :)

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote