View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #32
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Vehicles and Weapons from Fantasy giving me problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander

What David and you would be capable of doing, however, is making sure that the numbers you arrive at through research fit with the internal logic of GURPS and there are no glaring contradictions.
I want to underline one point here: I have no clue about vehicles and never have. Even in 3e, I abdicated on them completely to let David take charge. I see those big tables in the Basic Set and go "Uh-HUH." Let's be very clear on the fact that my areas in 4e were mostly character design and combat. David will eventually finish all the projects for which he has contracts, and then he'd be welcome to work on vehicles-related stuff for e23, including retcons to current content. Until then, his priority is paying his bills, which means honoring the aforementioned contracts.

Quote:

I mean, in the time we've been waiting, Obama has gone from an obscure Senator to President of the United States. Surely whipping up a role-playing book can be accomplished as well. ;)
The main differences being:

1. Bank balance. We have to struggle much more than a senator does to pay the bills. Books with fewer stats and tables, and PDFs with fewer pages, are consistent with paying the bills in a way that sinking vast resources into a huge tome full of low-tech armor, vehicle, and weapon stats is not.

2. We're juggling lots of goals at once rather than approaching one huge goal with tunnel vision. GURPS is my top priority but not the company's. Inasmuch as it does receive resources, they're split among dozens of PDFs and several print books every year. And tech catalogs come second place after genre books and rulebooks, because they're less generic.

Quote:

That being said, is there a chance of a Pyramid article on the subject, just to tide us over?
It's certainly possible that Steven sees one or more vehicles-themed issues in the future of the new Pyramid.

Quote:

A PDF supplement would be even better, of course, but that's much more unlikely.
Not hardly! See this wish-list item. We're just waiting for writers to take up the challenge . . . which is really no less likely for e23 in general than it is for Pyramid in particular.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote