View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 09:33 PM   #46
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Dungeon Fantasy] Non-East Asian inspirations for Martial Artists (and Ninja)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Anaìl is pronounced roughly (and depending on regional dialect) "Ah-nole", and for a mystical tradition probably Anaìl Beatha, "Ah-nole beha". There is an extensive tradition of stick and unarmed fighting in Ireland that could translate well to the Martial Artist template, variously called Coraíocht, Shillelagh, Collar-and-elbow, and Irish Shin-kicking, and Irish mythology offers plenty of legendary warriors who could run fast, jump around like fleas, dual wield, wrestle monsters, etc.
Interesting. This crossed my mind but a quick scan of GURPS Classic Myth didn't turn up anything. On a closer read, there's a fair discussion of superhuman abilities, but exclusively in the context of sidhe and part-sidhe characters. Furthermore the book explicitly says sidhe abilities require no training (CM75). I don't know if there are exceptions to that rule to be found in Celtic myth or not—certainly, the feats of heroes in other traditions seem to be a combination of blood and training. Though the real jackpot would be non-Asian traditions that take the stand anyone can be super through training.