View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
malloyd

Default Re: Recover Energy And Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Obviously Recover Energy should be treated as Learning on the Job, but then the question becomes what fraction percentage of a characters life counts as studying/practicing the Recover Energy spell? If you restrict it to just waking hours, that's 16 hours a day
No. If I were inclined to allow it at all, you might be able to count the time you spend "resting quietly" while recovering energy. You certainly can't count time the effect isn't doing anything. Note that resting quietly is not actually compatible with doing anything else that might be earning you points. You're *resting*, not studying. Actually I wouldn't allow even that - you don't earn on the job training for *maintaining* spells after all - so you should only count the time spent casting it. What, there are no rules for time to cast it? Well zero hours then.

Seriously the most logical interpretation of Recover Energy is probably that it's a kind of Enchantment you cast on yourself (nobody counts it as an On spell reducing your skills in all other spells once you've learned it right?). Not something you are actively using while resting that somehow still counts as rest.

And I wouldn't allow OTJ training raise your skill above 20 for no effect - you can only acquire on the job points by stuff you are still challenged by. A job that never requires a skill roll you could possibly fail doesn't teach you anything no matter how many hours you do it for. I suppose if you actually spent earned points to raise the skill above 20 for some reason, I'd let you count them toward stuff your point value matters for like Allies, but I think you could make a case for ruling they are just "wasted" and lost, by the same reasoning as disadvantages that aren't problems are worth 0 points.

Of course I generally don't allow Recover Energy at all - it's a legacy spell from before any other methods of enhancing fatigue existed at all that really should have been tossed and converted to an advantage about the same time as Fit and Energy Reserves were minted. There are several other "skills" that should have been advantages but aren't mostly because 3e GURPS limited acquiring advantages in play.