View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
scc

Default Re: Recover Energy And Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
If it were me? Only the time actually recovering energy spent on spells should count as on the job learning. Once the energy is recovered, the process stops.
The problem with this is that it requires you to keep track of just how how much time you need to spend recovering energy during adventuring, which isn't too hard, but also during travel and downtime, these last two would require figuring out how much spell casting you do in a normal day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
To the original question, iirc the rules state that you can claim no more than 8 hours a day for learning on the job. I would let the player decide how to allocate those hours among any skills they used in that day, but if you are claiming 8 hours of on the job learning in recover energy then you can't claim any hours of learning for climbing or innate attack or anything else. So I don't see this as likely to be a balance issue, nor do I see players choosing to improve Recover Energy past 20.

Even if I have misremembered the 8-hour cap, the point is that you can't doublecount - an hour counted as on the job learning of one thing can't also be counted as something else, so if all the PCs spend the same amount of time adventuring, they will gain points at the same rate, regardless of how you treat any particular spell or skill.
Do, I think you're right about the 8 hours thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You are unlikely to claim on the job learning for Climbing and Innate Attack anyway. It should be competing with things like Thaumatology, job spells like Enchant, and language immersion, though.

At any rate the maximum is 2 hours a day (1/4 of eight hours) so you can gain a point of Recover Energy about every seven months, if you don't learn anything else from your job.

It is also reasonable for the GM to require those hours to be put into the skills you actually use for your job roll, which can't be Recover Energy, because you don't roll it.
I think that Recover Energy is in a position that few other skills are with regards to learning it in that you can learn it whilst also learning another skill, a bit like someone working on an underwater construction site can assume to be honing both their swimming and building skills.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote