View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
Ubiquitous

Default Re: Some questions about the Soldier skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's fairly well described in the Basic Set, IMO. Perhaps you should re-read what it says? Basically, though it's the skill of general soldiering, not MOS-specific knowledge. If it's basic knowledge that all troops pouges and grunts alike are expected to share, then Soldier covers it.
Yeah, but think about how vague that kinda sounds. I knew it involved Foxhole digging and stuff; a skill you'd use for operating and performing Soldierly actions was how I remembered it. Which was why I thought it would apply to combat skills (Honestly, I'd say you're a construction worker with good disciplinary skills if you dig foxholes but don't fight wars). I mean, within reason; I'm not saying Soldier should cover EVERY weapon but I guess what I'm basically saying is that it should replace the default to a lot more. It does seem a bit more catch-all like that, but in my opinion that's basically what it looks like anyway as a skill. Maybe up the skill to Hard to cover that, I'unno.

And anyway I knew this forum has a lot of military buffs; I thought I'd pop the question to get the more esoteric bits outta them, not just what was in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It should be Soldier, IMO. Blackwater cleans their M16s and operates their radios the same as everybody else.
"Mercenary Talent" isn't a believable in-born trait, IMO. Something like Born Soldier, though or Born War Leader should work fine for Mercenaries.
I do like this idea, but it raises a question.

How come Soldier is a stand-alone skill, not a Talent or such? How come Paramedic or Volunteer Fireman, people with broad-reaching but specific skillsets aren't included?
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote