Thread: 4e GIN?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #21
milliken

Default Re: 4e GIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrneson
As Walter noted earlier, the genre could be done and even the frame work of IN represented, the challenge is in doing a conversion of the mechanics of the game system to GURPS.
GURPS represents the game type just fine.
Exactly -- we were trying as hard as possible to retain the "look and feel" of In Nomine in GURPS. And GURPS doesn't do entirely well with cinematic genres, with the result that there are a number of things that sort of cascade together to make things rather ugly, including game-world visible mechanics in In Nomine, which I consider a bit of a flaw in the IN design, frankly. But it does also fit the theme of In Nomine that there's a lot more out there than corporeal reality, which is mostly what GURPS mechanics reflect.

One of the more unexpected problems, by the way, in the In Nomine mechanics was figuring out how vessels worked. I had thought that one or another of the existing multi-form schemes would be adaptable, but they all turned out to work poorly. Finally, Kromm and I cooked up the GIN vessel scheme so it worked properly, but it took a fair amount of effort. I suspect 4e probably fixed or expanded the multi-form mechanics to account for the IN type, but I haven't yet looked at what's been done in that area in 4e.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote